Thursday, February 10, 2011

A lot of people have asked me if I am "working on" the IBM 'Watson' super-computer which is going to be competing in Jeopardy on Feb 14-16. The short answer is "kind of". To build 'Watson', they connected 360 IBM Power7 microprocessors (2,880 total cores), along with 15 terabytes of RAM, and some incredibly smart software. The processor itself is what I work on, and it's primary application is in an IBM server, not to play Jeopardy!(in case you were thinking it was a waste of money). But that is one of the chips that I have been involved in developing, so I do have a little skin in it I suppose. Hopefully it doesn't crash. If it does, I take it back... I had nothing to do with it.

If you're interested, or have no idea what I'm talking about, check out this video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazing...someone is actually thinking about commenting? Over 2 years have gone by without a single comment! Just when I thought nobody ever looked at this thing and considered deleting it...
-Chris